Yesterday we were at Pizza Hut after church and the kids were given some paper and crayons to draw with while we were waiting for our food. All the kids dove into this "project", just thoroughly enjoying the time to create. (How come they aren't that engrossed in their crayons when they're sitting through a church service?!) Well, Nate was going to town - and doing a really amazing job. He was drawing a Halloween picture (granted, not my first choice of themes, but the boys had done something similar in art class at school, so it was obviously fresh on his mind) - complete with the haunted house, clouds, a scary tree with ghosts coming out, tombstones, etc. I was absolutely impressed. When did our son become such an artist?! I had seriously not noticed his "advanced" creativity until this past weekend. The kids all love to draw and make pictures, but not until Sunday did I see this shift in abilities. Even Nate's picture he did for Sunday school - Kurt said it was phenominal.
Seeing our son do well in something is exciting... yet for me, is hard, too. People say not to compare your children. I know that in my head, but it's VERY difficult to do when you have twins as they are doing the exact same thing at the exact same time. How can you not see the differences?? When the kids are in different grades, at least there's a gap in time, so maybe the comparisons aren't so obvious - but side by side, it's a challenge. And in so many ways I see Nate doing "better"... he's more competitive, so seems to win more in athletic things... he's undoubtedly a better reader, and even this school year was placed in a more advanced reading group than his brother... he's tends to fit in or be included with the other boys at school... he's our architect so loves to put together Legos and various other creations and is good at it... etc... etc...
I really stuggle with not seeing all the areas he's doing "better". As a mom I want ALL my kids to do well, so have a hard time seeing that one isn't at the same level as the other. I suppose this is just the start of it as the boys are merely in 1st grade... and there's LOTS of school and sports and music and theater and... and... and... ahead of us. If anyone has any advice on this, I'd love to hear it!! :) In the meantime, I will strive to not see these differences as bad, but to encourage each child to do their best in whatever they are doing.
Monday, September 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
wow, yeah, you're right, it IS different when there's a gap in age, but in a lot of ways it's still the same. especially when you got one who lays low, doesn't cause too much trouble and is mild-mannered and one who is always acting on his "ideas" (which is not always a good thing), arguing and generaly NOT *a-hem* laying low. anyway, all that to say, that i understand at least in part.
Post a Comment