Tuesday, June 02, 2009

(Trying to) Stay up to Date

I'm guessing that since it's been over a month since my last blog post, I've probably lost most of my blog-reading audience. Whether that's true or not, I'm plowing ahead with a much over-do post, just to catch things up a bit.

Sadly, I've realized these past few months that I haven't been taking many pictures. It goes in spurts, I guess, and lately the camera's spent most of it's time in the camera case and not in my hands. But since blog posts are much more fun with pictures, I'll go ahead and add a few shots from the past month or so. Just some random bits of life - no theme or topic - just kind of haphazard.

Going back nearly two months... Karis' seventh birthday! We opted for a Chuck E. Cheese party with four girlfriends in-tow. And considering the stigma of ol' C.E.C., it all went quite smoothly. Kurt and I actually got to sit and talk while the girls were off playing. Imagine that! At a birthday party! Without receiving permission from the girlfriends in attendance, I'll just post a few pictures of Karis.

Here she is with her birthday cake. I bet you can't guess the theme of her party? And yes, nice wide-eyed look from Karis. Sort of silly, but it is what it is.


More shots of FUN at Chuck E. Cheese:





About a month ago the kids had their final Spring music concert at school. They all sang well, and Karis even had a speaking part. I didn't get a picture of her saying her lines because it went so fast, but I did get it on video tape. (And haven't taken the time to figure out how to put video from our video camera onto my blog. Some day.... some day.)

Here are the boys - Ben on the left, Nate on the right.

I love that little smirk on Nate's face. It's so Nate.

Then Karis was in a separate age group, and for one of their songs they got to wear ball caps. Sorry for the evil eyes... my red eye tool didn't fix it so once again, it is what it is. ;)




On the last day of school I had a surprise for the kids. (Well, really, it was for Karis, but we're all enjoying it.) For Karis' birthday she received one of those butterfly kits where you send off for the caterpillars, then get to watch them become butterflies. And on the last day of school, the caterpillars arrived in the mail! I have been taking a picture of them each day so we can document their progress, but won't bore you with two weeks worth of pictures. I will show a few, though. ;) Here is Day 1, Day 2, and Day 3.


When we first opened them up, I was quite surprised at how much silk was already in there. Obviously, these guys had been busy in their 2-3 day ride through the postal system. There are five caterpillars; in this shot two of them are up on the lid. And do you see the two roundish blobs on the left side? They're kind of spiky, like the caterpillars are? At first I wondered... hey, did we get some babies??!!! But no. That's just their poop. Hello?! That is huge! The other smaller specs you see all around are bits of their food.


More silk, more food bits, and yes, more poop.


Look at this change!! As far as the caterpillars growth, this was definitely the most significant. Pretty cool!

Now skipping ahead, the caterpillars have all formed chrysalids. (Little trivia note here: Butterflies form chrysalids; Moths form cocoons.) We've since moved them into their mesh tent/home and are waiting for them to emerge. We've got one spazzo chrysalid, though. This guy must be hyper or something, because over the past few days he's been moving and shaking like crazy. (They all wiggled around quite a bit when I moved them from their cup, but have since been still.) I feel sorry for the middle guy, as he keeps getting bumped around by the spazzo. The first day he did it we were getting ready to head out of town for the day, so I put some butterfly food in there, expecting him to be a butterfly by the time we got home. But alas, no butterfly. And that was three days ago! So I'm really curious to see what's up with this guy. Here's proof of his shenanigans:







Continuing with my creature talk, Karis found this guy stuck in between our windows yesterday...

And that's me holding a quarter next to him. Hello? That's one gargantuan fly! (He looks like a fly, but none of us knows for sure what exactly he is.) I certainly wouldn't want him buzzing around me!

Now I could tell you about another creature experience from yesterday, but I doubt you want to hear that Karis found four (FOUR) big, fat snakes wiggling around in one big lump, presumably procreating, on the bricks at the bottom of our stairs, and how when I told her I needed to kill them she cried and cried because she didn't want them to go extinct, and how I went ahead with my shovel duties but only got two of them, but hope the third injured one just slithered somewhere else to die, and how it still give me the shivers just to think about it. No, I won't go into detail about that.

But I will end with something cute... Karis in her new butterfly (what else??!!) swimming suit. (Got this one from Lands End. I usually go the Walmart or Target route, but these were on sale and I have to tell you, the quality is SOOOooo good! And the suit stays put - no riding up or anything. I'm sold!!)

Happy June to you... and hopefully I won't wait so long before my next post. ;)

No comments: