Friday, March 19, 2010

Heart Smiles

Lately there have been a number of things that have made my heart smile (if that makes any sense). You know, when quick, momentary happenings make your soul stir with happiness.

My heart smiles when...
... I see the kids practicing their piano lessons. We just started lessons a couple of weeks ago and they are doing very well with them. I had tried teaching them two years ago but they just weren't ready yet. This time around, they were more than ready. And excited to be playing. I just love hearing impromptu diddies filling the house. Their excitement and interest make this momma's heart smile.

My heart smiled when...
... Karis came to give me a big hug and thanks for the good dinner. Another impromptu act of kindness... unexpected on my part, but oh, so smile-worthy.

My heart smiles when...
... I open my newly fixed kitchen drawer. We have two kitchen drawers that have been in need of fixing. We have just put up with them until this point. But while I was gone last weekend Kurt surprised me by fixing one of them. He admits that he's not a handyman, so having him do this sweet "fix-it" for me was endearing. And now, nearly a week later, I am still surprised when I open that new drawer... and my heart smiles each time.

My heart smiles when...
... I see my tulips and daffodils just now starting to poke out of the ground. We've had such a long winter (and yes, even snow today!), so seeing these tiny tokens of Spring are a welcome sight. And thinking about planning (and planting) another garden this year gets me to smiling, too.

My heart smiles when...
... singing in a Chorus, doing something I haven't done in years. I am part of our town's Community Theater production of Les Miserables. I have never been part of a "production" like this, so the acting part is new. Singing in the Chorus brings back memories of college - and the joy of being a part of a "choir" of sorts.

In all honesty, it's been a pretty tough year in so many ways. But I'm thankful God places these sweet little tokens of His goodness in my life... so I can enjoy some Heart Smiles.

No comments: