Happy Mother's Day
Well, yesterday was Mother's Day. I won't go into the details of my day, as we had three of us feeling under the weather, so it didn't turn out as planned. At one point, though, Kurt and I were talking about what it's been like parenting our kids these past 6-1/2 years. It started because I was feeling like I hadn't been a very good mother, especially these past few years with all of the life changes and "busy-ness" going on. He helped me to stand back and look at what our life is like having three kids so close together. (He's always so good at seeing things realistically!) And even though we cherish our children more than words and feel absolutely blessed beyond measure to have them, to be truthful, it's been a terribly hard time in our life, too. I realize everyone's situation is different, but for us, the challenges of having all our kids close in age have drained us immensely. There are no older siblings to help "lead the way" or tend to the younger ones. Three kids who are all dealing with the same childhood issues at the same time - like how to share and put others first, and how to handle their emotions. Many times the sibling rivalry is out of control. And yes, there are days when I just sit and let the chaos happen because I just don't have the energy to deal with it properly. Not the best way to handle things, I know, but sometimes it feels like it's all I can do to survive.
So, my little soapbox there - well, it's also been spurred on lately by the fact that Karis will be going to Kindergarten in the Fall, which means... I'll be home all day without any kids! And this realization has hit many people who regularly comment on the subject, or ask, "What are you going to do with yourself?!" (Which I would ask someone else in the same situation, too.) Well, even though the questions are sincere and justified, I'm kind of tired of them. No one's been in our shoes these past years. I'm just plain tired, drained, and seriously burned out - and personally, more than ready for the break. I'm ready to relish some regular time of quiet. I seriously need to regroup, reorganize (well, there's no "re" about it -- I just need to organize!!), and get our home and my life back in order. I feel like I need to catch up from the past seven years. Like life suddenly took off and I was left spinning out of control in the dust, never quite ever catching up.
So, this Fall? (yes, I know you're wondering!) I'm planning to focus on recharging my life....
as a child of God,
as a wife,
as a mother,
as a friend.
And yes, I'm quite excited about it! :) Happy Mother's Day!
Well, yesterday was Mother's Day. I won't go into the details of my day, as we had three of us feeling under the weather, so it didn't turn out as planned. At one point, though, Kurt and I were talking about what it's been like parenting our kids these past 6-1/2 years. It started because I was feeling like I hadn't been a very good mother, especially these past few years with all of the life changes and "busy-ness" going on. He helped me to stand back and look at what our life is like having three kids so close together. (He's always so good at seeing things realistically!) And even though we cherish our children more than words and feel absolutely blessed beyond measure to have them, to be truthful, it's been a terribly hard time in our life, too. I realize everyone's situation is different, but for us, the challenges of having all our kids close in age have drained us immensely. There are no older siblings to help "lead the way" or tend to the younger ones. Three kids who are all dealing with the same childhood issues at the same time - like how to share and put others first, and how to handle their emotions. Many times the sibling rivalry is out of control. And yes, there are days when I just sit and let the chaos happen because I just don't have the energy to deal with it properly. Not the best way to handle things, I know, but sometimes it feels like it's all I can do to survive.
So, my little soapbox there - well, it's also been spurred on lately by the fact that Karis will be going to Kindergarten in the Fall, which means... I'll be home all day without any kids! And this realization has hit many people who regularly comment on the subject, or ask, "What are you going to do with yourself?!" (Which I would ask someone else in the same situation, too.) Well, even though the questions are sincere and justified, I'm kind of tired of them. No one's been in our shoes these past years. I'm just plain tired, drained, and seriously burned out - and personally, more than ready for the break. I'm ready to relish some regular time of quiet. I seriously need to regroup, reorganize (well, there's no "re" about it -- I just need to organize!!), and get our home and my life back in order. I feel like I need to catch up from the past seven years. Like life suddenly took off and I was left spinning out of control in the dust, never quite ever catching up.
So, this Fall? (yes, I know you're wondering!) I'm planning to focus on recharging my life....
as a child of God,
as a wife,
as a mother,
as a friend.
And yes, I'm quite excited about it! :) Happy Mother's Day!
No comments:
Post a Comment