Friday, July 02, 2010

A New Phase of Motherhood

It's been slowly emerging, but I feel I've now officially entered a new phase of motherhood. How so?

* Lately I have been intentional about having the kids do things I know they are capable of doing, rather than me always doing these things for them. After the initial sacrifice of time, their increased responsibilities have ultimately been a big help.

* They have begun making small trips around town by themselves. Usually on their bikes (and always staying together), they will run small errands for me to the grocery store, to the Post Office, and even down to the gas station to pick up a quick snack.

* They are independent at the swimming pool, so I often drop them off to swim, then pick them up an hour or two later.

* And the most recent change? They are starting to call me "Mom" instead of "Mommy". A couple of weeks ago one of the boys asked if he could start calling me "Mom". (How cute is that?!) I said if he wanted to, that was fine with me. So all of the kids have slowly started referring to me as "Mom". At the moment they use it about 50% of the time, but that amount increases each day. And I do have to say, when I hear them call me that, it just somehow doesn't sound right.

But do I enjoy being "Mom"? Yes.
Do I like this new phase of their increased independence? Of course.
Will I miss being called "Mommy". Most definitely.

Just as each new phase the kids enter into brings with it it's own set of joys and challenges, I also get sentimental and realize how quickly they are growing up, and how much I miss their innocent, younger ways. I suppose this is all part of Motherhood. But knowing a new chapter of mothering has begun and an older chapter is finished, brings along with it mixed emotions.

2 comments:

Kari said...

This is great! And yes, I passed into that phase just slightly ahead of you and I agree to all of it.

I now can no longer remember the last time I sorted/folded socks and/or towels! It's so nice to have them run up and get the mail, go to the bank or library on their own. Yeah, nice.

I also miss them calling me "Mommy". Gillian gave it up way sooner because of the boys making her feel like a "baby" when she did, so she stopped MUCH, MUCH toooooo soon!

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I just loved this post!

Danelle said...

Thanks for your comment, Kari! :)