Saturday, November 03, 2007

My Charlotte

It's really kind of funny, but I've had this little spider friend hanging out in one of my kitchen windows since, oh, at least summer time. Maybe longer. I see her every day - she's smack dab in the middle of the window, in between the inside pane and storm window. You can't miss her. Outside the window, I have a window box with Impatiens in it, so the bugs coming to check out the flowers often get caught in our window screen, making it a perfect little home for my Charlotte. She also picked the last window in our house that is the "old" style - probably an original with our old house. Therefore, it has old caulk all around the edges, so the window itself is stuck and not able to be opened. So, there she sits - free from predators (and humans!).

Well, yesterday when I took these pictures, she was happy and content. Now today (to my surprise), Kurt decided it was time to change our window. (Granted, this was our LAST window in need of replacing, so it was a good thing to finally get the job finished. Especially in time for the colder weather. But I was glad I'd at least gotten a couple of pictures of my little friend before the window changing happened.)

And for those of you who may not know, I was the official spider killer growing up. When my sisters saw a spider, they'd call me over to kill it. I wasn't terribly afraid of stuff like that. So what did I do today when the window was finally pulled open and there sat my Charlotte? I got a cup, scooped her up, and let her outside to a new home. I know, I know, kind of silly. But after watching her for such a long time, I didn't want to think of smashing her. You can call me silly, that's okay.

So here's my little friend...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

(Okay, sorry you had to see my very sad Impatiens. They were beautiful this summer! We've had temps below freezing overnight now, and they're ready to be done for the season.)

And then a shot from today, right before setting her free into the big, cruel, unprotected world:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

1 comment:

Kari said...

here's what i'm thinking...she thought she was haunting you because you killed all her babies that she'd planted on your leather jacket!! ;)