Monday, November 12, 2007

Peter, Peter, Pumpkin Eater

One day last week after coming home from errands, I noticed one of our Halloween pumpkins had a big chunk missing out of it. I wasn't quite sure it someone had stepped on it accidentally or what. I didn't think much of it, but knew it was time to throw two of those carved ones out, as they were molding, etc. We still had one little carved pumpkin of Karis' left, which was still in decent condition. Well, a couple of days ago when I was walking up our sidewalk leading to the deck, here sat a little "friend", "Peter" for this blog's sake, nibbling away at Karis' pumpkin. Aha! So I'd found our culprit. He obviously ran away when I came up the steps, but once I got inside the house, I grabbed my camera and held a stakeout by the back door window. As expected, he snuck back to the pumpkin and continued with his little feast. I even tapped on the window a couple of times, and he'd just look at me, then turn back to his nibbling.

When the kids got home from school that day, I told them I'd found out what had happened to our pumpkins. I brought out the camera and showed them these pics....

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

They laughed and thought it was funny. Well, up until we went outside to actually take a peek at Karis' now defaced pumpkin, and when she realized it was "her" pumpkin shown being eaten in the pictures, she let loose. The tears, the scrunched up face, the sobbing - oh, the drama. Thankfully, these "episodes" get over fairly quickly, after some consoling from Mommy, and a change of activity, like a few jumps on the trampoline.

But you do have to admit, our "Peter" is kinda cute.

1 comment:

Kari said...

these are awesome pics...i just love squirrels. yes, i know some people have great issues w/ them being nuisances, etc...but, i just love 'em! we have squirrels all over our yard---i wonder why they didn't mess w/ our pumpkins...huh.