Saturday, June 14, 2008

"Strawberry Lemon-aaaade! Ten Cents!"

Yesterday the kids put up their very first lemonade stand. We had gone downtown to run a few errands when we saw some school girls who had a lemonade stand (... they live right by the post office, in a high-traffic area, so no doubt had a very successful and busy day)... and when we got home, our kids proclaimed that they were going to do a lemonade stand, too! They were SO excited about it, coming up with plans and ideas and such, so I looked to see exactly what supplies I had on-hand. I actually did have some lemonade - or rather, strawberry lemonade drink mix, as well as a few small plastic cups. So while I mixed up the lemonade, the kids were busy getting the coolers, lawn chairs to sit in, and writing up signs. And getting out their bikes. "Their bikes?" you ask? Yes, the boys decided they were going to ride around our block, and a couple of surrounding blocks where some of their friends live, and tell everyone they saw about the lemonade stand. Even knocking on doors, mind you. I had to chuckle... but then smile, because the fact that our once timid, socially shy boys were now going door to door, on their own initiative, to talk to people they didn't know was quite amazing.

Okay, with marketing underway, Karis and I prepped the stand and got ready for our first customers... our new neighbors next door. They came over with dimes ready and purchased quite a few cups. Then Daddy swung by on his way back to work, getting a few refills (to which Karis explained that he could get up to TEN refills with the same cup - each was ten cents - but TEN refills.). And on it went - slowly gaining the attention of a few passing cars, a couple of walk-by's, and even our UPS man. In the end, the kids were out in the sun (they did NOT want to move to the shade, but rather stay at the corner spot in the sun) for over two hours. And not once did they complain about being hot or tired. But by the end of two hours, our lemonade stash was dwindling down and our cup supply was gone. So that was the end of this spur of the moment business idea.

Once inside, the kids were quite curious to know how much money they'd earned. (I didn't go into the whole "pay for the cost of the lemonade, cups, etc. part of the equation... we'll go more into that at another time.) And I have to say, I was quite surprised to find that they'd made $8.70! At a mere ten cents per cup (... they were small cups!), and the lack of traffic, I hadn't figured there would be more than a couple of bucks in there. But there were obviously more people who passed through than I thought (and granted, a few extra tips, too).

I threw in the extra 30 cents to make it an even (or odd!) $9 - and perfect for splitting between the three of them. Talk about excitement at the idea of having a whole three extra dollars to put in their banks!

And in the end, I think it was a great experience for them.. and I foresee many more lemonade stands in the summer ahead. I guess I'd better stock up on lemonade and cups.

Photobucket
Here's Karis and her first customer, our little neighbor boy, Joseph.

Photobucket
Nate and Karis braving the heat. (... and please notice the socks Nate's wearing with his crocs. Ha!)

Photobucket
Ben - a great marketing manager

And a favorite...
Photobucket
... the kids flagging down a car coming down the street. What determination!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

cute!

you get "mom of the year" award...i'm usually too lazy for this sort of thing ;)