I realize you probably don't come to my blog to hear my complaints, but this week I had a couple of noteworthy ones I thought I'd share anyway. ;) And I wanted to warn you first so that if you don't want to read about my gripes, you can just stop reading now and move on down to the First Day of School post below. :)
Okay - Grumbling #1. This one is about notes from school. If you follow my Twitter on the side of my blog (to the left side there), you may have read that on Tuesday evening we found out there was a soccer practice for the kids - a mere half hour before practice was to start. I was seriously grumbling, and all "How come they didn't send home a note? Or put it in the newspaper?!!" When I asked the kids about it, Nate said, "Oh yeah, our PE teacher told us about it today in PE." Yeah, that's a good way to get information home. Tell your second grader about it in class and hope he'll remember to say something three hours later when he gets home. Uh huh. (Grumble) So, due to my grumbly-ness, and the fact that Kurt had already planned to take the boys to his folks (for which they were very much looking forward to) - I opted to not hurry the boys to practice, but have them miss it and continue with their previously scheduled plans. It was the first practice, so I figured they'd have plenty more to go to.
Then... fast forward to Wednesday when I went down to the school to officially sign the boys up to play soccer (... Karis did NOT want to play again this year.), as Wednesday was the deadline for getting them signed up. As I was filling out the form, I was talking with the school secretary. She asked if we'd been at practice the night before. I "nicely" mentioned that we'd only heard about it right before practice was to start - to which she said that there had been a note sent out.... in the kids' take home packets at the end of school last year. Oh, really. I totally believe you. Really, I do! It's just... even though I am pretty good at writing down dates and things as soon as they come in the door - over three months ago just doesn't count. Hello? What gets me is that there were supposedly a LOT of kids at practice. Am I the only slacker in this? Can everyone else in town be so on the ball that they plan and document their Fall events even before the Summer has hit?? Goodness me. I know I'm over the top here, but really. Really! A small reminder note coming home from school on the first day would have been very much appreciated. And I know - I just need to be a big girl and get over it. I know. *sigh*
Alrighty, time to move on to Grumbling #2. Just a small, minor inconvenience. But sort of makes me laugh in addition to my grumble. :) When the TV schedule for the Olympics was online, I went to the website and looked up a few of the sports I wanted to watch. (Not counting swimming or gymnastics or anything else that was so huge you can't help but not miss it.) One of these "smaller" events was synchronized swimming. For some reason, this just fascinates me. And my sister, too. (Well, at least it used to!) When we were younger, we used to try our own synchronized swimming in our pool. It was a riot! So, having this little secret desire to watch this event, I signed up for the email reminder thingy that would send me a reminder 30 minutes prior to when the event was to air. (The online schedule I found didn't have specific times, just the day the event would take place.) Well now, wouldn't you know - twice this week I've gotten my reminders. And they were even sent an hour and a half before the event! I read them in the morning when I got up. They were sent at 1:30 a.m. With the event taking place at 3:00 a.m. Lovely. Now we aren't one of those families with TiVo or anything like that, so this little "reminder" did absolutely no good for me. And even if I'd gotten it a full day in advance, it still wouldn't have done me any good. Who shows synchronized swimming in the middle of the night? Well, I suppose maybe there just isn't the "following" like some of those other big time sports, but at least have it later in the morning or something! I'm quite bummed that I missed watching it this time around.
So there you have it. Danelle's little grumblings from this week. Here's to fewer grumblings next week!! :)
Friday, August 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
That is so funny that they sent home a note on the last day of school. I think I would have been doing a little bit of grumbling myself.
Kristi
The notes about 2008 Olympic's synchronized swimming schedule were actually first sent at the conclusion of the 2004 Olypiad from Greece... sure, they were in Greek, but I thought Kurt would have helped you with that...
glad you got to see them though!
I just had to smile when I read this blog - you are just priceless! I TOTALLY understand being frustrated about some of the Olympic scheduling. I had the same thing happen with a few things and we're like you guys and don't have DVR or Tivo or anything to record at weird hours of the night....but I saw on your Twitter that you were able to catch some synchronized swimming - yahoo! :) And about the boys' soccer thing - hello? I'm with you on the notes from the end of the last school year. I'm lucky if I remember the notes from last week! But now you've got me thinking that Dara's school sent home a "dates for 2008-2009 school year" memo that I vaguely remember stashing away....hmmm, I probably need to go find that thing before school starts next week or who knows what I might miss??? Crazy these organized people I tell ya, crazy! ha!!!! :)
Dana K.
Post a Comment