Tuesday, September 16, 2008

So I'm Not the Only One

As I've shared before, I personally struggle with keeping my home decluttered. Over the years it just gets worse - and really, I'm quite unsettled by it, as it's not my nature to have things be this way. Actually, I'm a perfectionist at heart, so living in unorganized chaos is, well, chaos. It truly bothers me to no end.

Now this afternoon I received an email that puts this silly contradiction into real life, understandable words! My e-newsletter is from a gal who offers simplification and organization tips. (Yes, I know I'm in desperate need of them!) Here's what she has to say:

"Believe it or not, perfectionism is a very common cause of disorganization. Seems counterintuitive that a perfectionist could be disorganized, doesn’t it? Well, the desire for perfection is often so strong that it creates immobility, both at the onset of your organizing projects, and anywhere in the process if you begin to realize things aren’t turning out perfectly. "

Oh my goodness! That is me... to a "t"!! Even though I hate being this way, it does feel good to know I'm not the only one who struggles with it. Just so you know, here's what this gal has to offer as a tip for we "counterintuitive" people:

"If you feel that perfectionism is getting in the way of your desire for a more organized home and life, the first step is to recognize this fact. Then, look for ways to take small steps in the direction you want to go. Give yourself permission to organize imperfectly by focusing your attention on progress instead of perfection. "

I know, her answer is pretty basic. But still, it does offer some encouragement. Now I just need to take those baby steps... set the timer for 15 minutes... and all of those other "answers" I've read about from various sources. Some day, yes, some day I hope to have a more organized home. Most likely won't be till the kids are out of the house, but I suppose "some day" is better than never. :)

(Organization tips courtesy of Aby from Simplify 101)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No, you are NOT alone. I am one too. And my husband is WORSE... you can imagine the conflict. ;)

But, you are definitely not alone...