Saturday, January 03, 2009

Flush #2

Yup, our little Goldie didn't make it through the day today. Actually, all of the fish had been recently exhibiting behaviors I thought odd, so we'll have to wait and see how our lone Bubba fares. (We were given a tip about their water, so are trying to change that to hopefully remedy this string of fish deaths.)

And this morning, when it was obvious that Goldie wasn't doing well, Karis came up to me and said, "I just prayed and asked God to not let Goldie die because I don't want two fish dead." Well, as a parent, it was obvious Goldie WAS going to die, so I hoped Karis would do better with this second situation. And she did. Yes, a few quick tears, but she was definitely over it much quicker than yesterdays ordeal. And yes, she made another little "Goldie" sign to put next to Cal's out by the garage. I'm sure the neighbors are getting quite a kick out of this... although it may be a bit concerning, too. Hopefully the name "Goldie" will tip them that these are fish we're referring to. :)

So, two down.... and one left. I suppose this is why they recommend you only start your aquarium with ONE scout fish (which we only learned about after we'd already bought our three)... to "test the waters," so to speak, and see if anything needs to be changed as far as temperature, additives, etc.

And please know, I won't document each and every fish encounter, as there may be many. But with these first two, I thought it was rather amusing, so wanted to share.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds just like my mother's Day gift. I got three goldfish and all were dead in a few days. Glad Karis did better the second time around.

Anonymous said...

keenan got a fish for his 4th b-day. he named it keenan. he didn't last too long either.

i think, you know, fish don't exactly have the longest lifespans--at least i don't think so, i could be wrong on this point though...and you get them at the store not knowing how "numbered" their days are when you bring them home, you know?

poor kiddos though..rather, poor karis! ;) sounds like the boys are handling it all "just fiiinne"