Tuesday, January 06, 2009

The Good News... and the Bad News

I went to the doctor today to get some meds for my sinus infection. Actually, I've only had the symptoms for less than a week, but remembered how long and drawn out I had it last year, so decided I'd better go in and get started on kicking this thing right away. And I'm very glad I went. I got an antibiotic shot as well as a round of oral antibiotics to start up tomorrow. I'm determined to get rid of this thing as quickly as I can! Plus, I had a good conversation with our PA, talking in depth about treating my symptoms, what to do if I feel this same thing coming on next year, etc.

A few minutes after she left the room and I was waiting for my shot, she poked her head back in and told me she'd looked up my history in the files... and it shows I had a sinus infection January of '07, and of course last year's marathon infection in January of '08, and now again in January of '09. With this information in hand, she asked me.... "Do you have a live Christmas tree?" And I hesitantly and meekly said, "Yes" (... if ONLY she knew my story!!!!) And she went on to say that often the live trees are rather potent and I could be reacting to that. Yikes. That was NOT the information I was wanting to hear. But as I think about it, considering I get this same kind of thing at the same time of year, the circumstantial evidence is pretty heavy that our live tree could really be the culprit to my winter health problems. UGH.

So now what? I guess we need to decide what we're going to do next year. And I suppose, on the bright side, we have nearly a year to make that decision. ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh..wow! well, not good in the sense that you LOVE your live tree, but good in the sense that you know now why you get this every january. clever too, of the dr./nurse who made the connection!
hope you are feeling better SOON!

also, so sorry to hear about kurt's aunt. we'll be praying.

Anonymous said...

If the tree is the problem, you can start taking antihistimes (claritin, zyrtec, etc) and maybe flonase a couple weeks before you get the tree and all through Christmas. I used to get very bad allergies in August with Ragweed, but once I started taking proactive measures, the symptoms were much better. (Until I moved and got allergies to MANY other things!) Ask your doctor about this.