Our Ben is growing!! In more ways than one.
The most obvious growing that's taking place is with his appetite. The "eating us out of house and home" phase of having boys might just be beginning. He seems to constantly be hungry - helping himself to snacks of bananas, yogurt, peanut butter sandwiches and lots of milk. And just tonight I took the kids out to eat and he had an adult meal deal (very large burger, regular fries and drink), followed by a whole banana and pack of six peanut butter crackers. Hello?! Growing spurt, maybe??
Just this afternoon he also showed his continuing progress and growth at the dentist office. With our roller coaster ride of previous dental issues, it's amazing that today was a complete "non-event". He was able to have his teeth cleaned with what appeared to be no anxiety at all. Huge praises there!
Lastly, in dealing with a highly sensitive child, I recently began reading a book for parents of these "HSC"s. I'm just getting started in the book, but think it will be a valuable resource for us to help our boys (Ben in particular), become happy and well-adjusted. So, the other evening I had finished reading in the book and set it down on the coffee table. Ben apparently picked it up and read a portion of the back cover. Here's what he read:
"Is your child...
* Sensitive to almost everything - scratchy clothes, funny tastes, loud noises, a change in routine?
* A vivid dreamer, distressed by scary movies, or fearful in new situations?
* Prone to hurt feelings, upset by criticism, and eager to do things just right?"
After which he walked up to me, holding the book, and asked rather insinuatingly, "What's with this?!!" I just sat there and smirked. I tried to respond by getting him to tell me what was wrong with me reading that book, and why he thought I was reading it. But he didn't give in to my subtle promptings. But it was still very obvious that he recognized the descriptions in himself. And made me even more sure that this book will be a great asset in our parenting arsenal. It "fits".
During this time of changes in our kids, as they all are fully in their tweens and entering the early stages of puberty, these areas of growth have been a real encouragement to us! Way to "grow", Ben!
Tuesday, March 13, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment