Okay, get ready for something truly disgusting. If you'd rather not go there, just scroll on down to the next post. For those of you with the stomach for it, go ahead and read on.
Today was errand day for me - a trip to Lincoln to service the van, amongst other various to-do's. It was going to be a nice day weather-wise - cool, but nice. So I decided to get out my leather jacket (a truly special Christmas gift last year from my very thoughtful and sweet husband :). I hadn't worn it all summer, so was breaking it out for the first time this season - from under the other jackets piled on the coat hooks by the back door. So with my jacket on, lists in my purse, and other items needed for my errands, I was off! It's over an hour's drive to Lincoln, but once there, my first stop was at the Honda dealership for servicing the van. I had to wait nearly an hour, but sat with the other people in the waiting area, reading my magazine. Then on to Michael's to try to find a specific hat for the kids' Halloween costumes. I walked through the store, but didn't find what I was looking for. So next stop - a party store. Again, looking for the hats, but browsed through the whole store and didn't find any. So finally to Target where I had some jeans to return, and then more clothing items to buy for the kids. After going through the kids' departments, I browsed around the rest of the store a little bit before making my way to the women's clothing. I had wanted to look for a couple of winter items for myself. I looked around the racks and found a few things to try on. So onto the dressing room. I got to my room, hung up the clothes I wanted to try on, then took off my jacket. When I went to hang it up, I was absolutely, completely abhorred at what I saw. There on the back of my jacket, that must have been hidden in one of the folds as it hung on our coat rack.... the jacket that I'd worn all day, throughout Lincoln, in various stores, was.... a white spider web (or rather "blanket") about 3-4 inches in diameter, with a big egg sac in the middle of it. Is that the most horrendous thing or what? To think... I'd been walking all around with this THING on me! It was nearly more than I could handle. Here I'm feeling all put together wearing my spiffy jacket, when all along this dirty, disgusting filth was on my back. What must people been thinking?!! I can't even imagine. My only recourse was that I was in a city where no one knew me. Thank goodness! (Of course, now all of YOU know, but I can sort of laugh about it now.)
Okay, so there I was in the dressing room with this spider egg sac attached to my dear jacket. What was I going to do? I didn't have any Kleenex in my purse. I couldn't possibly wear it back out there like that. And to carry it out on my arm was just too risky. (Besides, I'd worn short sleeves, so would have been cold without it.) So I got a scratch piece of paper from my purse and used it like a tissue - not knowing what was going to happen. Would I squish it and have tiny baby spiders going berserk all over the place? Eww. I just knew I couldn't leave it like it was. So I did the deed - and as quickly as I could, grabbed and squished the egg sac. On the bright side, no baby spiders came running out. Sadly, it was now a yellow icky mess. I scraped as much of it off as I could - as best as you can with a piece of paper. Ha! At least the jacket was wearable now. I can't say much was left of my dignity, though. *sigh*
So, just remember my little story when you're pulling out garments from numerous seasons ago. Be sure to check ALL sides of the item - front AND back! You never know when a stray egg sac will make its way onto your clothing.
And by the way, does anyone know of a good leather cleaner?!!
Tuesday, October 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment