A couple of days ago I returned home from a wonderful trip to Oregon..... by myself! Yep, Kurt graciously took over the parenting responsibilities for a few days while I enjoyed some time with my family. And after how this summer had gone, I was ready for a break. (Although now that school has started, things have been better.) And it was high time to see the family again, too. So off I went! I'm actually sort of used to and fine with traveling by myself. I've done it enough that it doesn't really bother me. My flights, both to and from Nebraska, involved some kind of delay, but thankfully it all came together in the end. And the time in Oregon was wonderful! I spent two nights at the coast with my sisters and two cousins. We watched movies, enjoyed some Gallucchis pizza, scrapbooked, and just talked. It was a fun time! We used to have these girls weekends every year up until the year we moved to Nebraska. Then due to various reasons, we'd never scheduled one in. So after these few years of no girls weekend at the coast, it was so nice to have that time again. After the coast, I spent two nights at my parents. My mom and I went shopping one day, and then basically just hung out together the remainder of the time. I enjoyed evenings with my parents, sisters, bro-in-laws, and niece and nephews. And had a nice visit with my Grandma one morning, too. So just a great, family-filled, few days.
Saying goodbye to everyone wasn't actually too difficult, because we're heading back to Oregon for Christmas this year. Actually, just over a couple of months away. So knowing I'd see everyone again soon, made it much easier. But there WAS something I wasn't expecting....
On the trip over when I flew into Portland, I looked down over the city and had this overwhelming feeling of "... this is HOME." Whoa. I wasn't expecting such a strong pull like that. Maybe because it's been awhile since we were last there. Maybe because I'd had a pretty rough summer with the kids and was just burned out. Maybe because I've also struggled with fitting in here in Sutton. I don't know - but it was an emotional force I wasn't expecting to deal with. Yikes! And no, when I flew out of Portland back to Nebraska, I didn't cry or feel those same emotions like, ".. I'm leaving home". But the initial feelings, thinking back to them, were very powerful. I guess it's just part of the transition I will need to deal with. Or maybe, it's just that I'll always remember my roots, and that part of my growing up was a key factor in who I am today. And that's a good thing!!
Friday, October 05, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment