Tuesday, February 05, 2008

The Ultimate Compliment

I really have no idea why this popped into my head today, but it did, so I'm writing about it! Ha!

Last month I was asked to play the piano at a funeral at our church. I have never played for an entire funeral service before - just a special duet number with my sister when we were in high school - but wanted to help this family out, so said I would do it. For the service, I was to play during the prelude, for some congregational songs, for a soloist, then for the postlude. I found a number of fitting songs and hymns for the prelude and postlude, and the congregational songs were all ones we already sing at church, so they were fine. But the special number was a song I had never heard before, and I was accompanying a gentleman who I had never met. This gentleman and I got together at the church the day before the funeral to practice - me not knowing what to expect. After introductions, we sat down to work on his song. And he promptly told me that he doesn't count (i.e., doesn't follow the music). So I said, "You mean, I just need to follow you?" And he said, "Yes." Oh, boy. This could be interesting! Here's a song I already wasn't very comfortable with - and I have to be watching and holding notes and such, trying to stay in tune to what this guy was doing? Yikes. *sigh* So, with a big breath, we jumped into the song. And surprisingly, it went rather well for a first time through together. For his "not counting", he actually kept to the music very well. The second time through I could tell he was using more license. We worked through a couple of spots where he wanted to hold some notes, etc, and were good to go. He even told me that I was the best accompanist he's ever sung for. (What?! I couldn't help but wonder who in the world has accompanied him in the past?)

The following day at the funeral, I was a nervous wreck. Hoping I had enough music to fill the time, not knowing how a couple of the hymns were going to go, and then wondering how this special number was going to pan out. Thankfully, I am happy to say that it all came together quite well. Sure, there were a few misplayed notes here and there, but in all, a success. And the special number went alright, too. So, after the service was over, the soloist came up to me, and I told him that he'd done well and it was nice to be able to work with him. And he looked at me, and with absolute utter sincerity he told me he had never heard playing so beautiful. My "style" of playing, along with the song choices, obviously struck a chord with him! He just gushed on and I didn't know what to say. And then he ended by giving me the ultimate compliment, "I want you to play at my funeral!" Now can I just say that I am not by any stretch of the imagination an "accomplished" pianist. I am a pretty big "chord" player - I tend to play some of the printed notes, but often just chord off from there. And I don't have a grandiose style - I am more simple. But I do have to say, this man's compliment, and request!, made my heart feel good.

No comments: