Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Blessing of Friends

As many of you know, I've really had a difficult time feeling like I fit into our small town. Since our move, establishing deep and meaningful friendships just didn't "happen" - and I really struggled with that. Sure, I wasn't expecting it to happen overnight - I realized it takes time. But anticipating the fourth anniversary of our move out here this Spring - I just felt like it was taking me longer than most people. I'd see other gals who have only lived here a year or two, yet seem so "friend-rich" and connected. I'm sure my tendency to be on the quiet side in social settings didn't help much. Or the fact that we are just home-bodies - not the type to be going out all the time. Yes, I still have deep friendships with my friends back in the Northwest, but for anyone who's moved away long-distance, you know that those far away friendships change and take on a new dimension.

But then this past weekend I went on a scrapbooking retreat and God revealed to me just how blessed I am. Three of us gals from church went, along with another friend of one of those gals. So it was four of us girls. We were gone from Friday evening until Sunday evening. And what a time we had! We scrapbooked to our hearts content - staying up late to get "just another layout" finished. And yes, that part of the weekend was great! But what struck me even more was the quality time we had to spend with one another. Just a rich, meaningful time to chit chat, as well as talk about serious matters and share what was on our heart. I left there feeling beyond blessed by what the Lord has brought into my life. Take a peek...

Photobucket
Just a-croppin' away!

Photobucket
Me, Kristi and Kari .... a little tired from lack of sleep. ;)

And now this past week, God has continued to reveal these blessings to me. A couple of nights ago I got off the phone following a 45 minute phone call with a sweet Christian gal here in town. It was just to be a quick reminder kind of call, but turned into a lengthy conversation - discussing kids, our Bible study and more. I got off the phone and just thanked God for this neat, growing friendship. And then we were invited to a Super Bowl party - a very unexpected invitation from a family I have been wanting to get to know better over the past few years. So again, God is showing me that He hasn't forgotten me. Yes, He has stretched me further than I'd anticipated, but He knows my desires and need for friendship, and has been blessing me.

So know that the picture up there of us three girls means a whole lot more than "just a snapshot" taken at some scrapbooking retreat. It's a confirmation of God's blessings. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awwww.... *sniff*

i got more to say, but that's all i can say right now....

*sniff*